The Young Pope Review

Matthew Harper, Delbarton Life Editor

“The Young Pope,” a new, limited run television series that premiered on October 21, 2016, has become one of HBO’s most popular shows. The series opens after the election of Cardinal Lenny Belardo as Pope Pius XIII, a young American. The Vatican Secretary of State, named Cardinal Voiello, hopes he will be able to control the pope to direct the Church and build a bridge between the conservatives and the liberals in the process. However, the Young Pope turns out to be much more than Voiello bargained for.

Lenny Belardo, now known as Pope Pius XIII, not only hopes to make his own decisions, but also to radically transform the Catholic Church into the most powerful institution in the world. By choosing the name Pius, the new pontiff places himself in a line of conservative papacies and is intent on restoring the church to its former glory (i.e. the medieval Church). In a speech to the cardinals, Pope Pius XIII exclaims, “Brother cardinals, we need to go back to being prohibited. Inaccessible and mysterious. That’s the only way we will once again become desirable. That’s the only way great love stories are born. And I don’t want any more part-time believers. I want great love stories.” With extreme hubris, the new pontiff clearly demonstrates his idea of what the Church should be doing. At the conclusion of this speech, he proceeds to have every cardinal kiss his foot, a sign of respect and submission to this new era of the Catholic Church.

Throughout the series, the young pontiff demonstrates his hubris and overconfidence. In order to gain leverage over the cardinals, he forced a priest to break the seal of confession to share their secrets. In another instance, the pope explained, “The past is an enormous place, with all sorts of things inside. Not so with the present. The present is merely a narrow opening, with room for only one pair of eyes. Mine.” Again, the pope demonstrates how he is the most powerful man in the world. Furthermore, in the sixth episode of the series, the Prime Minister of Italy met with the pope to discuss their relationship. Lenny gives the prime minister a list of shocking and preposterous demands, using political blackmail to get his way. As the two continue to disagree, Pope Pius XIII explains his plan, further demonstrating his immense power:

“But just imagine, a few weeks before the election, it comes an announcement. Pope Pius XIII has decided to appear in public for the very first time. To talk to the Italian Catholics. What morbid curiosity! The whole world is dying of curiosity. And it is absolutely to be expected, it’s normal, we all want to see that which is hidden, we all want to stare the forbidden in the face. Pius XIII appears and so do his beautiful blue-eyes and this soft, round mouth. A dazzling image, so dazzling it blinds people. In other words, a powerful, an evocative image, not unlike that of Christ. But Pius XIII doesn’t merely dazzle, he offers reassurance as well. With a magnificent speech, full of quotations in Latin, it tells them that they, the faithful, must not be afraid. And how could they be afraid, with a Pope as handsome and reassuring as Christ?”

Throughout the series, my family and I came to learn that many of the scenes were actually filmed at Sant’Anselmo. which is the monastery in Rome that Delbarton students visit over the summer to be immersed in the beautiful language and culture of Italy. Because I visited the monastery during the summer after my freshman year, I immediately recognized many of the scenes that were filmed there. According to Father Ed, the monastery was paid 10,000 euros for every day the show filmed there. Overall, “The Young Pope” proves to be a fantastic show, filled with drama and suspense. Jude Law, who plays the pope, fits perfectly into his character. The pope’s cruel and vindictive personality complements many of his actions, adding more excitement to the show. As the new pontiff once stated, “My only sin, and it’s an enormous one, is that my conscience does not accuse me of anything.”