Squash Nationals: A Great Ending to the Season

Matthew Harper, Delbarton Life Editor

From February 10 to 12, the Varsity Squash team traveled to Hartford, Connecticut, to participate in the 2017 Head U.S. National High School Team Championships. The world’s largest squash tournament with nearly 1,500 players on 105 boys teams and 76 girls teams competes across twelve divisions. After last year’s early loss, the squash team was hopeful and determined that it could win its division. Throughout the course of the tournament, we defeated St. Joseph from Pennsylvania, Collegiate School from New York, and Bronxville High School. When the time came to play in the finals, we were prepared and excited to demonstrate our skills. We hoped that this season’s hard work would culminate in a final victory. Unfortunately, the New Canaan squash team defeated us.

For those who don’t know, the Varsity Squash Team consists of the following members: Matthew Harper (myself), Danny Maguire, Griffin Silverthorne, Adam Majmudar, Dylan Papetti, Jack Smith, Jimmy Sieber, Tommy MacCowatt, Michael Harper, Reed Gregory, Matt Campbell, Cameron Flinn, and Nick Castagna. Throughout the season, we refined our squash skills and further developed our friendships.  As one squash member said, “The Squash Team fought extraordinarily hard throughout the competition. Everyone had the passion and motivation that was needed to win the entire division. However, we were just unlucky in the finals. Nonetheless, we are happy with how we played during the tournament and throughout the season in general.” Although the squash season is technically over, we all continue to play due to our love of the sport and in preparation for next year.