The Votes are in: Gianni Vinci Elected as Student Body President

Matthew Harper, Delbarton Life Editor

Gianni Vinci has been elected as the Student Body President for the 2017-2018 academic school year. After an exciting campaign, which even included an extension to break some ties in the voting process, the Delbarton community has elected a student they believe is best equipped to take on the challenges in the upcoming year. Throughout the campaign, Gianni expressed excitement with the opportunity to even run for president. Now that he is elected, Gianni has expressed gratitude for the opportunity to make a real difference in Delbarton. Moreover, Liam Higgins, the current Student Body President, is confident that Gianni will do a great job in serving as Student Body President.

In this peaceful transfer of power, out-going president Liam Higgins is happy to know that the Delbarton community will be in good hands. When asked why Gianni is the best person for the job, Liam explained, “There are so many reasons why I believe Gianni will do a fantastic job next year, but the most important reason is because of his excellent attitude and mindset. Gianni has spoken and met with me several times since being elected, and is extremely excited to take on the task ahead of him. Although there is a great deal of responsibility and work for Gianni, I couldn’t think of a better person to take on those challenges.” Furthermore, Liam explained his hopes for  Gianni to change Delbarton for the better. He briefly emphasized the intrinsic qualities that make Delbarton so great, “Delbarton is an extremely unique place. Students love being at Delbarton and there is always a positive vibe around campus. I hope we continue to have as much fun as I did during my four years at Delbarton, and that nobody feels left out of the brotherhood. Delbarton is in good hands with Gianni as president, and I am excited to see what happens in years to come.” The Delbarton community is confident that Gianni will do everything he can to improve various aspects of the school.

In an interview, Gianni shared what he hoped to achieve in the upcoming year and what he can do differently to strengthen the brotherhood among students:

What do you hope to bring to the Delbarton community next year?

I hope to bring three distinct things to the community next year. The first being an unprecedented stress on making the school a “greener wave”, helping the environment and our beautiful campus. The second is a stress on community service, I hope to never see Mr. Pieraccini asking kids to come to neighborhood house. Lastly is a stress on attendance to sporting events and the arts.  

Why did you decide to run?

I ran because I want to help the school and make it better than when I first came. I feel that being a leader in the community is one of the best ways to do so. Also, I knew that I had good ideas and that if I was given the ability to follow through with those ideas the school will be forever changed.

How will your leadership style affect how you achieve your goals?

My leadership style is simple, lead through service and make sure everyone has fun. Although school at times can be tough, it can also be very fun and as a leader I feel it is my job to make sure everyone is enjoying themselves when they are at school. Secondly, leading through service is characterized simply as being a proactive member in the community, there is so much to do and I feel that all students need to take advantage of these opportunities.

How will you use this experience to grow as an individual?

Next year is my last year at Delbarton, and I want to make it as memorable as possible. I want to use the experience of being a leader to grow my people skills and my ability to deal with adversity. Also, creating all of these memories with my brothers is something I will never forget!

What do you think you will find most difficult and easiest?

Getting everyone out to games and to the community service opportunities will be the most difficult, a post on schoology can only do so much but the students themselves are the ones that need to make a change. Having fun will be the easiest thing to accomplish next year, the council is a great group who know when to work and when to have fun, I am very confident that next year will be great!

In all, the Delbarton student body elected Gianni Vinci because we believed that he had the greatest ability to positively impact Delbarton throughout the year. Evidently, he is confident that he can live up to these expectations. Gianni will enjoy the support of Will Andersen who will serve as Councilman, and Jack Plaza who will serve as secretary. We are confident that these three students (in addition to the other members of the Council of Seniors) will work in concert with one another to make the 2017-2018 academic year the best one yet!