A Magnificent Ending…And a New Beginning: Spring Instrumental Concert Recap

Yajur Sriraman, Arts Section Editor

April 21st, 2017. This date will forever remain significant in the Delbarton instrumental program. It was Mr. Gregory Devine’s last concert as conductor of the Delbarton ensembles. On an emotional night, the FAC was packed to witness the final band concert of the year, and to watch Mr. Devine give his emotional, departing remarks. With free tickets, free food, and a significant turning point in the instrumental program, people came in increased numbers to this final concert. The Delbarton Arts Council’s publicity team worked hard to increase turnout for Mr. Devine’s last concert, and the results showed for themselves. The rest was up to the performers…

The night started with the Brass Ensemble. The concert opener was a recognizable tune, the “Liberty Bell March”, to draw the audience in. This was followed by “We Hasten with Eager Footsteps,” a very challenging musical composition. “We Hasten” was in the works for several months (spanning two concert cycles) before being performance-ready, but the wait was worth it! The woodwind ensemble took the stage next, conducted by Mr. John Di Egidio. The group played three tunes, including the well-known Sesame Street Theme, before handing it over to the jazz ensemble. They performed a classic, “My Favorite Things”, followed by a more contemporary piece, “Cantaloupe Island”. The percussion ensemble, led by Ms. Celine Fitzpatrick, performed their traditional West African Rhythms before the wind ensemble was ready to close out the evening. Gustav Holst’s “Second Suite in F” was a challenging piece, and there were a few blips here and there. The students were determined to make the final piece a memorable one for Mr. Devine.

But before that…senior recognitions! Before the last piece of the spring concert, it is Delbarton tradition to recognize the seniors leaving the group and there were several key seniors that had to be recognized. Delbarton students Patrick Zhang, Chris Whelan, Austin Terchek, and Norman Chen-Liaw were all recognized, and each received resounding ovations from the crowd. The stage was set for the final piece, and “I Vow to Thee My Country” was absolutely spectacular, receiving a standing ovation. The spring concert was a success, and Mr. Devine went out on a high note…literally! We are confident that he has left the instrumental program in good hands, and the students will strive to continue the excellence of Delbarton music for this new era in the instrumental program.