Delbarton Soccer Morris Country Finals Recap

Mark Wasik, Staff Writer

On Saturday, October 21, Delbarton, the number one ranked soccer team in the state, took on cross-town rivals, Mendham High School. The hype leading up to the game foreshadowed one of the great soccer matches of the year, and the game certainly lived up to expectations. The game proved to be a battle of juggernauts, filled with ups and downs, individual breakthroughs, and tense moments. It was the type of game that would last in fans’ minds for some time. Luckily, I was able to watch the entire game from on top of the announcer’s box, one of the greatest experiences during my time at Delbarton.

After defeating a talented Dover team, and spirited Mount Olive and Hanover Park teams, Delbarton set up a rematch with one of their greatest rivals, Mendham. Earlier in the year, both teams played at Mendham High School. Mendham pulled ahead early in the game,  temporarily stunning Delbarton, the favorites to win the match. Delbarton did not stay silent for long, answering with two successive goals by seniors Christian Zamora and Kian Alberto. The game left both sides wanting a rematch, which they got when they would meet in the Morris County Tournament finals.

Every team starts the season with dreams of winning the MCT finals. The tournament is one the seminal trophies making up the coveted “Triple Crown” of soccer, winning the conference, county and ultimately the state championship. It is a feat rarely accomplished. The players and coaches prepared for weeks in anticipation for this tournament and it all paid off as they finally reached the finals with a matchup with Mendham.

The game remained tied for much of the first half until the thirty-sixth minute, when senior Mark Forbes headed a cross by Chris Norriega into the back of the net. Delbarton would hold onto their lead for the rest of the half. Mendham, however, were not going down easily. They started the second half with a constant barrage of shots and crosses. Mendham would eventually make it a tied game after a referee’s controversial call granted a penalty to Mendham with twenty-six minutes left in the second half. Mendham’s Stephen Ryan would convert the penalty and put the pressure back on Delbarton, and reignite fan’s excitement.

Both Delbarton and Mendham had chances in the second half but both teams failed to convert. Tension and suspense grew as the clock winded down, and overtime appeared more imminent by the minute. The noise from both sidelines was turning into bedlam as every possession brought a team that much closer to winning. As time dwindled, the thoughts of an overtime period became more real. Delbarton would end all thoughts of overtime with twenty-four seconds left when Will Stroud scored a goal that left both sides stunned. The shot was perfectly struck with many calling it one of the greatest goals they had ever seen. An uproar from Delbarton fans and players followed by a frenzy of celebrations. Delbarton would hold onto their lead and win the MCT finals.

This game was something I have never experienced before. The ups and downs of the game kept me on the edge of my seat the entire game. Both teams did not fail to entertain with both sides producing a scoring chance each second. The game will go down as one of the most exhilarating games in Delbarton soccer history with Will Stroud’s goal being a moment most people will never forget.