Mr. John Diegidio – Musical Director Extraordinaire

Ben Valenti, Staff Writer

Perhaps the least recognized member of the Delbarton faculty, Mr. John Diegidio, has conducted the Woodwind Ensemble for the past four years and the Wind Ensemble starting this year. Born in Newtown NJ, Mr. Diegidio’s parents home-schooled him from an early age until college when he sought to further his education and enter the professional world of music. First, he earned a Bachelor’s Degree at Rutgers College in both Music and Education, from that time on he felt the calling  to  teach music to others.  His agenda also included his pursuit of the saxophone; he earned his Master’s Degree in Saxophone Performance at Montclair State University.  Mr. John Diegidio currently teaches full time at Mount Olive High School and serves as their extracurricular music conductor. His many roles include teaching both the courses Intro to Music and Music in our Lives and conducting the school Marching Band and Symphonic Wind Ensemble.

All conductors have different styles and different quirks that make them unique. A common custom of  “Mr. D” is when the exact opposite of what he wants to happen occurs (for example, if he desires a certain dynamic change and the band does not do it), he will scream while the song continues. Another humorous quirk is for “Mr. D” is to make the motions and sound effects of throwing an imaginary hand grenade at the person who made the musical error, creating a very comical scene.

When asked how he obtained his current position at Delbarton he jokingly responded, “The other guy died.” But when he elaborated further it seemed his predecessor in fact passed away in the winter of 2013, leaving Mr. Blazier, the Department Chair, scrambling for a replacement.  Just last year, the beloved Mr. Devine stepped down from his position as director of the Wind Ensemble, to be replaced by the incredibly qualified and experienced “Mr. D”.

When asked to share any interesting facts about himself, “Mr. D” asserted that there wasn’t much to him other than his wife and 10-month-old son. But upon further questioning, Mr. Diegidio revealed he spent some time in Europe playing with an Austrian Wind Ensemble and later learning saxophone in Switzerland. Another interesting fact was that he was almost beaten up by a German homeless man in Munich!  Currently, he is learning to play the bagpipes in his free time. Mr. Diegidio is also an avid Game of Thrones fan, watching the new episodes with his wife and child as HBO produces them; his favorite character is Jamie Lannister.