American Politics Club Invites You to a Political Experience!

John Manahan, Staff Writer

Novelist George Orwell once noted that “if liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” In these polarizing times, we often take for granted our ability to speak freely and express the beliefs we hold in our everyday lives. This comes as a privilege of United States citizenship. We encounter varying viewpoints, and as Orwell notes, liberty allows us to argue and disagree with others.

A byproduct of all these privileges are our political beliefs. At Delbarton, we previously had the Young Democrats, Young Republicans, and Young Libertarian Clubs. I even attempted to create another political party club, the Young Christian Democrats, which is a dominant European party. When the club showcase and fair was hosted at the beginning of the year, I realized, as a moderator of the Young Republicans Club, my group’s name wasn’t given representation. I went to the administration only to find out that all politically affiliated clubs had been disbanded to avoid infighting and polarization. Needless to say, I was shocked that a club I had invested heavily into had simply been ended.

Mr. Reubling, however, provided an excellent solution to the situation. He recommended that I create a new club, one which combined all three political clubs into one. Out of this came the American Politics Club. Since its conception in October, we have gained over one hundred and fifty members, as well as active participation at each club meeting. We hold discussions on policy decisions made the government, such as President Trump’s tax cuts. Our new club transitioned the three individual clubs away from a group polarized by politics and into a cohesive unit that holds viewing events and discussions on critical current events. Overall, the combination of each body into one has not only enhanced each member’s ability to engage in constructive dialogue but has galvanized students interact with each other politically and respectfully.