Jarmolowich Continues his Dominance Against Seton Hall Prep to Push Football Team to 4-3

Green Wave Post a Winning Record after 1-3 Start.

The Seton Hall Prep football game is always one of the most anticipated sporting events at Delbarton, which always results in huge student turnouts. To say Delbarton had a “huge turnout” at the game last Saturday, however, would be an understatement. A massive number of Delbarton students, as well as Seton Hall Prep students, attended the game last Saturday, which made it all the more special. The hundreds from Delbarton were not disappointed.

The first half of the game was a back-and-forth between the two evenly matched teams that started with a 51-yard run from Sophomore Gary Lewis on the opening play for the Green Wave. Prep responded in kind and tied the game later in the first quarter. In the second quarter, senior Michael Jarmolowich picked up a fumble and returned it to “the house” for an 88-yard scoop-and-score, notching his fourth consecutive game with a defensive touchdown, which, according to Coach Bowers, “has got to be some kind of record.” Jarmolowich revealed that during his return, his main thought was “don’t fall. It’s not easy doing that. When you bend down to get it, you don’t want the turf gods to get you (and fall down).” However, Prep rebounded and tied the game, again. The first half ended with the score even at 14.

The start of the third quarter was ugly for the Wave, when the opening kickoff was fumbled giving Prep a prime opportunity to sieze the game’s momentum and the lead.  Delbarton’s defense stiffened and forced the Pirates to settle for a field goal and the temporary lead. From there on out, however, the Wave put up an onslaught of points that would go unreciprocated. Seniors Gregory Goetz and Jarmolowich each caught a touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Cole Freeman to put the Wave ahead by 11, 28-17. Senior kicker Jake Copeld then kicked one through the uprights to give the Wave a lead of 14. After Will Smart, senior defensive lineman who has committed to Wake Forest, killed a late Seton Hall drive with a sack and batted pass, Kopeld then kicked a 33-yarder to make the final tally 34-17 in favor of the Wave. After the game, Coach Bowers summed up the game simply with “the kids made plays.” Indeed, the Wave made plays on Saturday.

This win gave the football team a 4-3 record.  After slowly starting the year 1-3 the Wave has reeled off three consecutive and convincing wins. Delbarton has its next game on Saturday, October 20th against Morristown High School, who is currently 1-5. According to Jarmolowich, although the win against Prep was crucial for Delbarton, the Wave must “keep grinding it out” and be “confident, not cocky” in order to continue its recent dominance.