Delbarton Memories #1

credits+to+Delbarton+Courier.+

credits to Delbarton Courier.

CJ Gasser, Editor-in-Chief

Over the next few weeks, I will share the top five favorite moments during my time at Delbarton. My fifth favorite moment during my time at Delbarton would have to be my 7th-grade Homecoming. Before coming to Delbarton I had heard of “Homecoming” as the event of events and that the highlight of the day was the “Braveheart Run” down the hill of Old Main. Even though the run did not happen, I still have very fond memories of that day. I woke up incredibly early, in preparation for my outfit. My mother had gotten me green face paint, green hair spray, and tons of green accessories. Let’s just say I was more than prepared for Homecoming. I urgently rushed my parents to get to campus as soon as possible, so that I did not miss a single thing. Once we arrived at Delbarton, I was overwhelmed by the smell of Cluck-U chicken, the noises of students and alumni, and the very large football players walking down to the field. I could not believe that I was finally at my first homecoming as a Delbarton student.

One of the main factors of the day was the Council of Senior’s attempt to secretly stage a Braveheart down the hill of Old Main despite the approbation of the school’s administration. We voyaged, as a student body, in the backwoods of campus, to ensure that no faculty or parents saw us. However, this plan was doomed to fail. We were immediately caught once we got close to the doorsteps of Old Main. The Council of Seniors were incredibly disappointed by this reality and argued unsuccessfully with the administrators. Even though we did not get to run down the hill, I still enjoyed walking as a student body in the woods, in the attempt of staging a Braveheart. Throughout the day, my friends and I journeyed through all of the events and even snuck into the basement of Old Main.

The thing in particular about that day was that I finally felt like I belonged in the Delbarton community. In my first few months at Delbarton I struggled (as we all do) to adjust to the rigorous academics and struggled to find my roles in the social and extra-curricular community. However, at Homecoming I felt as though I had a purpose and that I was at Delbarton for a reason. Throughout my years at Delbarton, I have come to realize how much of a blessing Homecoming is. Not only for the alumni, but for the students, faculty, and parents. Homecoming is the essence of the spirit of Delbarton and is the best reflection of our sense of brotherhood. Even though I had my last homecoming as a student this past October, I am excited to come back in years to come to celebrate the spirit of Delbarton!