Delbarton Rugby 2022

James Cugno, Staff Writer

The upcoming season for the Delbarton Rugby team is a more extensive and more competitive schedule than last season. Last year Delbarton Rugby was confined to playing teams in New Jersey due to the spread of Covid-19. The team played teams such as CBA in Lincroft and St. Augustine Prep. The year prior, there wasn’t even a season because Covid-19 canceled all games. Regardless of the difficulties with Covid, the Delbarton Rugby team went undefeated last season and are looking forward to keeping that same record for the 2022 season.  As a result, the team will be able to travel outside of New Jersey to play an even more diverse and difficult set of teams than the previous season. Players have been working hard to get into shape for the season, which will be underway in just a few weeks.

On March 7, during Spring Break, Delbarton Rugby held JV and Varsity Tryouts. The team is always open to new players joining the team and anybody is welcome to join. No prior experience is needed. In order to get more information about Delbarton Rugby, make sure to join the Delbarton Rugby page on Schoology. Additionally, if you have specific questions, make sure to contact Coach Linfante, Coach Majano, or Coach McKeever. 

I played my first season of rugby in my sophomore year since the season had been canceled my freshman year. Although I was a bit nervous joining a sport I had no prior experience in, I pushed myself to learn the game. After just a few weeks of practice and getting tips from experienced players and the coaches, I became familiar and comfortable with the rules of the game. After learning the rules, the rest of the learning experience came easily. Practices are always challenging but a ton of fun when you are out on the field with your teammates. I can tell you without a doubt that Rugby is a physically demanding sport. However, if you challenge yourself in practice, you will quickly adapt to the physical nature of the sport. 

Joining the Delbarton Rugby Team is one of the best decisions I made during my time at Delbarton, and I encourage anybody who is interested about the sport to join.  Again, join the Delbarton Rugby Schoology page for more information about the sport and the schedule.