Baseball Preseason

Pat Harrington, Staff Writer

The Delbarton baseball team had another successful Spring Training trip to Boca Raton, Florida this spring break where the team made memories and lots of double plays. The varsity team used the Florida Atlantic University baseball facilities to tune up their skills before the start of their 2017 season. The team had copious “off-the-field” activities that included dinners, a beach day, a movie night and the first annual bowling competition.

The team’s typical day started off with an 8:30 breakfast followed by a departure from the hotel to FAU at 9:00. When the team arrived at the field they immediately put on their sunscreen and got to work. From 9:15-12:00 the team would practice, participating in a variety of skill drills,  then head to lunch. After lunch they would practice from 12:45 to about 3:00. Then, they headed back to the hotel and prepared for dinner.

The movie night included a showing of the new release, “Logan” which starred Hugh Jackman as his infamous “Wolverine” character. The movie was the last installment of the Wolverine movie franchise which has run for 17 years.

To break the monotony of practice routines, the team also had a beach day. They traveled to Deerfield Beach to swim and played activities like volleyball and spikeball. The day was highlighted by the annual “Coaches/Parents v. Seniors” game. It was an old-fashioned “barn-burner” and the seniors pulled off a comeback to win the set 23-21, and bragging rights.

Finally, the first annual bowling competition took place at “Lanes @ Boca.” Team were selected and when the dust settled, the champions were Greg Olson, Kevin Schroeder, Michael Ritardi and Rickie “The Lion” Lyon.

Weather permitting, the Delbarton baseball season will begin early in April.  Pray for sunshine and come out to support your team.