Welcome Brother William!

Maureen G Nowak

Derek Lattmann, Campus Ministry Editor

As at the start of each academic year, Delbarton School has the privilege of welcoming several new staff members into its community. Brother Will McMillan, one of Delbarton School’s newest faculty members, has joined us!

Br. Will grew up Union, New Jersey, a short thirty minutes from his new home at St. Mary’s Abbey. Other than owning the largest water-sphere in the world, Union is famous for being the home of the oldest man to ever skydive:  a one-hundred and two year-old man; how incredible!  Br. Will grew up going to the public schools in Union, later attended Seton Hall Preparatory School, and eventually made his way to Syracuse University in upstate New York. There, he earned his BA with a double major in English and Magazine Journalism. During his college years, Br. Will fondly recounts his memories of being a reporter and copy editor for the The Daily Orange, the independent, student-run newspaper of Syracuse, New York. During this time, he also wrote for 20-Watts, a student-run magazine that focuses on the music scene of Syracuse University and the surrounding city.

Immediately following his graduation from Syracuse, Br. Will worked in marketing for Investors Bank in nearby Short Hills, New Jersey.  As he continued to develop his corporate career, Br. Will continued to pray about his vocation.  “One night, while I was a part-time graduate student taking night classes at Seton Hall University, I was walking by the Immaculate Conception Chapel, and I had this strong urge to go to confession. After leaving the confessional, I felt like a new person. Immediately, I considered religious life.”  After filling out an online questionnaire through VISION Vocation Network and receiving mail from religious communities around the country, Br. Will responded to Abbot Giles Hayes’s letter to visit St. Mary’s Abbey. After three overnight stays, he filled out his application papers and was accepted to the monastery, and from there it’s history.

Br. Will is excited to teach freshman English, work with Dr. Hajduk in Campus Ministry and coaching Middle School baseball this year.  He also looks forward to many more years here at Delbarton School.

Once again, welcome, Br. Will!