Suicide Awareness Walk 2018

Credits to Delbarton School.

Credits to Delbarton School.

Jacob Grayzel, Staff Writer

For the second year in a row, Delbarton will be hosting its Raising Hope Awareness Walk for suicide prevention. The event starts at 10:00 AM and will be held on Saturday, October 20th, one week before homecoming. Additionally, there will be a barbecue directly following the walk and a performance by the Delbarton Rock Band.

Suicide, whether we realize it or not, is a prevalent and pressing issue in today’s society. It is the second leading cause of death for people between the ages of 15-34. The solution to the issue is not dire, it is actually very clear. Suicidal tendencies almost always begin with depression. Of the people who seek treatment for depression, 80-90% are treated successfully, meaning that depression therapies are very effective. One significant problem that we have (in schools) is discerning those who are suffering from depression and those who need treatment. As event organizer James Monahan said:  “a simple interaction with another student can save alive. This issue is one that can be solved with greater awareness.”

Last Thursday, the student coordinators held a bake sale to raise money for the AFSP (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention). The students were impressed with the reception to the bake sale (raising $340). Across campus, posters have been popping up advertising the event and educating students about the cause. Organizer Peter Butler says that he is very optimistic about the event: “We are using all the momentum from last year to make this event even more meaningful.”

Lastly, there is a donation aspect to the walk. An online donation can be made by clicking here: https://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.personalCampaign&participantID=1583051. The ultimate donation goal is $8,000. Donations help people get treatment. Student organizer Cade Lenczycki remarks that the primary goal of the walk is to increase awareness among students about suicide and the second goal of the walk is to raise money. “So far, the reception has been amazing,” asserts Lenczycki.  This is such an amazing cause and event, and I hope to see you there on October 20th!