Midseason Tennis Review

Rohan Amin, Staff Writer

With seven seniors graduating and only two starters returning, NJ.com and other tennis reporting sites all projected Delbarton to be both underdogs in the Non-Public A group and non-contenders in big tournaments. However, with the aid of freshman blue-chip recruit and first singles, Michael Zheng, Delbarton is currently ranked 7th in the state with the prospect of rising even higher with matches coming up with two of the top five teams in the state this week.

The young team, with only one senior, captain Will Collins, as a starter has worked hard to come from the slightly erratic, inexperienced team that began at tryouts to now. This past weekend Delbarton narrowly won the Morris County tournament with a victory over Chatham and has become the first team in eight years to advance to the second day and semifinals of Delbarton’s own Bryan Bennett tournament. With first singles Michael Zheng  (19-1 individually), with his only loss having been avenged this past weekend, Delbarton is now projected to win the Non-Public A group by NJ.com and has the potential to go deep in the Tournament of Champions if the team gets there.

The doubles lineup is composed entirely of players who have never started for the varsity team, yet the two doubles pairings clinched the county tournament this past weekend. Indeed, the young team, with underclassmen George Han and Nicolas Gritz at second and third singles, respectively, has begun to mature and shows the team’s potential going into the rest of the season.

Hopefully, the Delbarton tennis team will be able to achieve its goals of earning a sectional and state group win against strong opponents such as CBA and Don Bosco in the coming month. For now, the team has the upcoming Newark Academy tournament this weekend with some of the best teams from New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania competing.

Go Green Wave!