Delbarton Students travel to Washington D.C. to “March For Life.”

Patrick Moore, Staff Writer

On January 21, 2022, Delbarton Students travelled to Washington D.C. to attend the “March For Life”, an annual protest of the Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade which effectively legalized abortion in the United States.  The March For Life, hopes that all people reject this option and choose life. This year, I was fortunate enough to attend the March For Life in person. 

At 6:30 A.M, many Delbarton students of the Wave 4 Life club drove to St. Joe’s Church in Mendham, where Mass was celebrated before the drive down to the protest in D.C. After the morning Mass, Delbarton students headed to the bus, only to encounter an unexpected event. At 7:00 A.M., in frigid weather, Brother Will announced to our group that our bus got stuck turning into the St. Joe’s parking lot. At first, I thought Brother Will was joking, but pretty quickly I learned the reality that our bus was stuck. WBeing stranded for the next two hours, Brother Finbar made a much appreciated Wicker-Basket run and we all ate “Sandos” for a reduced price of $6, instead of the normal $10 that they sell for at Delbarton. A new bus arrived at around 9:00 A.M, and the Delbarton group ventured I-95 for the next four hours until reaching Washington, D.C.  Soon after arrival, our Delbarton group marched up to the middle of the protesters, eventually reaching the Supreme Court and U.S. Capital Building. The march itself was quite peaceful, with signs reading “We Are the Pro-Life Generation” and “Choose Life.” Many priests, religious Brothers and Sisters, and students attended the rally. According to most estimates, anywhere from 100,000 to 150,000 protesters attended the rally.

During the march to the Supreme Court, I felt that the experience was inspirational and showed to me that many Americans want to protect life. One Wave 4 Life leader, J.P. Smart, explained that for him “the 2022 March 4 Life was a life-changing experience. Seeing over 150,000 pro-lifers come together and take a stand against abortion was a once in a lifetime opportunity.” I had a similar reaction to J.P Smart’s reaction, as I also found it amazing seeing hundreds of thousands of protesters stand up for what they believe in, and choose life. I would also like to thank Brother Finnbar, Brother Will, Mr. Cosgrove, and Mr. Brady and the Wave 4 Life leaders for helping chaperone and organize the event.