Love’s Labour’s Lost Entertains Old and Young Alike

A Good Time Was Had by ALL!

Ryan Hall, Staff Writer

Last weekend, October 29- 31, the Delbarton Abbey Players produced a smash-hit at the FAC Theatre. This year’s fall presentation was Love’s Labour’s Lost, a Shakespearean comedy performed by a talented cast of actors and actresses from Delbarton and surrounding schools.  The production, directed by Mr. Matt Corica and ably assisted by Mr. Roggi Chuquimarca (’17), provided the audience with a night of tremendous joy and laughter. 

The set for the play intentionally mimiced the Delbarton campus, specifically Old Main and its garden.  The Build Crew, led by Mr. Peter O’Connell, did an outstanding job recreating the Delbarton atmosphere.  Ms. Zoe Hurwirtz was the sceneic designer.  Costumes were designed by a Delbarton veteran performer, Isabel Lagana, and Cameron Filepas designed the lighting.

This version of the Shakespearean play follows the story of four naive students in the 1930’s as they stumble along life’s journey of love and loss. The king of Navarre (Oen Quinn), one of the previously mentioned students, decides to institute a three year period in which the men of the kingdom are required to participate in a period of serious study and spiritual contemplation. To avoid the distraction, the king imposes a ban on women, parties, alcohol, etc.   One of the king’s fellow scholars, Berowne (Matt Dooley), doubts the king’s decision to impose this ban because  the King has an ambassadorial meeting that would require the Princess of France (Olivia Terpin, Villa Walsh Academy ’23) to approach the court. 

Following the arrival of the Princess, the king and the princess share a moment of “love at first sight” which sets up the drama for the rest of the play, but still KIng Navarre refuses entry to the Princess. This refusal causes the Princess to begrudgingly set up camp in the fields near the palace. In the meantime, Don Armado (Francesco Pontoriero ’24), a Spanish nobleman visiting the court of Navarre, finds himself in love with Jacquenetta, a common, working wench of the kingdom. In an attempt to profess his undying love to Jacquenetta, Armado gives a letter to Costard, a local clown (Nicholas Pelayo ’23). But alas, before Costard can deliver Amado’s letter, Berowne approaches Costard with a letter for Rosaline (Morgan Lomax, Academu of St. Elizabeth ’24), a woman of the Princess’ court, and asks him to take a letter to his beloved. Some comic action is set up when Costard (naturally) gets the letters mixed up.

Later, it is revealed that all the scholars of the King’s court have fallen in love with the women of the Princess’ court. Thanks to the meddling of a French lord named Boyet (Ryan Hall ’25) the confusion ensues.  Making the executive decision to break their oaths, they visit the women’s camp disguised as Russians, but the women are also in disguise. What follows is the longest and probably most confusing scene in Shakespere which consists of multiple disguises, mistaken identity, a play within a play, a death, and much more. 

Last weekend’s fall drama was the perfect way to kick off another excellent year for the Delbarton arts program. Matthew Dooley ’23, resident Delbarton Abbey Player, regarding the drama said “Considering all the work and effort each cast-member placed into their performance, I think we all found success in conveying the story and the beautiful words of Shakespeare.” And it did as the audience members regarded the show very highly with compliments on the set, the terrific performance of the actors, and above all the wonderful direction of the show. 

Personally (as a member of the cast), I would like to thank all the patrons of the arts that came out to see the show because it is truly amazing to be recognized for the immense amounts of effort each person puts in to produce a smashing performance. With the fall drama now concluded, information for the winter musical  will soon appear, so stay on the lookout on the Delbarton website under the Arts section!