The Courier

The student news site of The Delbarton School

The Courier

The Courier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Green Wave Soccer Plays Seton Hall Prep at the Red Bull Stadium

Two of the biggest sports rivals in the state of New Jersey: Seton Hall Prep (SHP), and Delbarton were set to face off against each other at Red Bull Arena in September. Student sections from both sides were cheering for their teams, each hoping of an electrifying victory. It was Delbarton’s season opener, and they were looking to have a great year, a great season, and a deep run into the playoffs.

As soon as the game started, everyone in the stadium could feel the tension between these two teams. Both sides knew the stakes of this game, and all the history between the schools.

With more than 1,000 fans in the arena, the game promised to go down in history for both schools. The two teams came out strong, with Eddie Krupski from SHP giving the Pirates a 1-0 lead on a penalty kick just 4 minutes into the game. This motivated Delbarton to strike forward, which was what happened: Green Wave captain Shea Coughlin tied the match on a penalty kick 18 minutes into the first half. The game would remain 1-1 at the end of the half. Both teams knew what they needed to do, and how to approach the second half in order to win this soccer game.

The second half started slowly, and the fatigue of the players was evident. However, half way through the second half, Benjamin Lucas gave Seton Hall a 2-1 lead scoring on of a beautiful free kick. Once again, as a response, Delbarton responded.  Green Wave freshman Dylan Mazzerela scored the team’s second goal and the first of his high school career.  It couldn’t have been more special than this. After the goal, the momentum was with Delbarton, and Owen Miller scored with only four minutes left in regulation to give the Green Wave a 3-2 lead over the Pirates.

Everybody was expecting that to be the game-winning goal, but Seton Hall Prep had other plans. With only two minutes left in regulation, the Pirates were awarded with a penalty, and Daniel Dashkevich put the ball in the back of the net. This game was headed into overtime. Each team had their scoring opportunities in the two overtime periods, but ultimately, neither team could find the back of the net which ended this game in a tie. Fans, parents, and the two teams were disappointed about the tie, but applauded the efforts of the boys, pouring their hearts out to the game for 100 minutes. These two teams left it all on the field, and both deserved a win.