The Courier

The student news site of The Delbarton School

The Courier

The Courier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Struggles in the Big Apple

Hard Times for the Jets & Giants

For the second time in their past three meetings, the Giants and Jets played into overtime, with the Jets coming out on top last Sunday with a 13-10 victory, metaphorically claiming “braging rights” to the city of New York. Many people were anticipating a good matchup between the Jets and the Giants because both teams, at the beginning of the season, were looking promising. Still, after injuries to both starting quarterbacks, both of the teams struggled in their efforts to be King of the Big Apple.

First, as many know, Aaron Rodgers suffered a season-ending Achilles injury on the fourth play of the Jets’ season, likely leading him to miss the entirety of the regular season. Daniel Jones, on the other hand, suffered a serious neck injury in his week three matchup vs the 49ers and did not get a chance to play against the Jets. Even worse for the Giants, Tyrod Taylor, the backup quarterback for the Giants who was playing in replacement for Daniel Jones, ended up suffering a rib cage injury, sidelining him for the rest of that game.

Tommy Devito, the Giant’s third-string QB, took the starting spot the rest of the game. Tommy Devito, a QB from one of Delbarton’s rival schools, Don Bosco, has never played a snap in an NFL game before, so his first showing was quite the disaster. Devito threw for -1 passing yards the entire game on just seven attempts, only completing only two of his passes. Jets QB Zach Willson, on the other hand, did not have as horrendous a game, throwing for 240 yards and one touchdown with a completion percentage of 47.2%. 

As the game progressed, there was minimal action. The biggest play was Jets’ running back Breece Hall with a 50-yard touchdown reception (a 2 yard pass and a 48 yeard run after catch). Other than that big play, the MVP for the Jets that game was their kicker, Greg Zuerlein, who kicked their game-winning field goal in overtime.

Speaking of kickers, Giants’ Graham Gano missed two critical field goals that could have sealed a win for the Giants, which comes to show how important every point is (even field goals) in a football game. After Gano’s miss, the Jets drove 58 yards in four plays without a timeout in the final 24 seconds for the tying field goal to send the game into overtime. 

Because of the two atrocious offenses, in total, there were 24 punts that accounted for over 1,000 yards. That stat alone should prove to NFL fans how terrible this game must have been for fans who decided to pay for tickets and watch the game.  Sadly, there were more punts than total points scored.

Now, the Giants are 2-7 after losing another terrible game offensively to the Raiders 30-6, while the Jets lost the Monday Night Football to the Chargers 27-6 in upsetting fashion, which drops their record to    4-4. In the Giants game this week, Daniel Jones returned from the neck injury that has kept him sidelined, but he ended up tearing his ACL, which will keep him out the rest of the season, and with Tyrod Taylor still on IR due to his rib injury, the Giants are stuck with Tommy Devito unless they go out and sign another QB before next week’s road matchup vs the smoking hot Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys.