The Courier

The student news site of The Delbarton School

The Courier

The Courier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Swift Victory: Chiefs Rise to Back-to-Back Glory in Super Bowl LVIII

Getty Images
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – FEBRUARY 11: Patrick Mahomes #15 of the Kansas City Chiefs holds the Lombardi Trophy after defeating the San Francisco 49ers 25-22 during Super Bowl LVIII at Allegiant Stadium on February 11, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
On Sunday, February 11th, 2024, The Kansas City Chiefs faced the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LVIII. Though the teams were slightly more underwhelming than previous Super Bowl matchups, Mahomes’ ability to go back-to-back with a win in Las Vegas and Brock Purdy’s opportunity to make a name for himself with a victory over the Chiefs kept the viewership high.
However, neither of the two quarterbacks played the most significant role in the game’s viewership. That accolade belongs to Taylor Swift. Thanks to her, the NFL broke its viewership record as 127.3 million viewers tuned in for the event. After the broadcast showed Swift twelve separate times, all the fans needed to complete the storybook ending was a victory from Travis Kelce and the Chiefs. Brock Purdy and Christian McCaffrey, however, made that challenging.
The 49ers, after committing an opening-drive fumble, quickly regained energy and stopped the Chiefs for a three-and-out. Despite the 49er’s well-executed chunk plays and fast-paced offense, Jake Moody’s 55-yard field goal was the only scoring for most of the first half. Later in the second quarter, Christian McCaffrey extended the 49ers lead to 10-0 on a trick play pass from Jauan Jennings. Harrison Butker and the Chiefs converted on a field goal just before Usher’s halftime show, but San Fransisco ultimately took control of the first half.
After an amusing halftime performance and turnovers from each side, the Chiefs eventually capitalized on a field goal from 57 yards out to get Mahomes closer. Another fumble recovered by the Chiefs led to a lead-changing touchdown to put Kansas City in front by three. The 49ers, despite their slow start to the second half, delivered on the next drive when Jennings caught a touchdown pass from Brock Purdy. However, Moody’s extra point was blocked, which allowed the Chiefs to capitalize on their following drive with a field goal that tied the game at 16-16.
The Chief’s defense held on but allowed Moody to drill a 53-yarder with minutes left in quarter four. However, there was still plenty of time for Mahomes and Kelce, as the Chiefs marched down the field and returned a favor of their own with a Butker field goal as time expired.
On the 49ers first and only drive of overtime, Purdy’s throw-away on 3rd down forced San Fransisco to be content with a field goal. Then came Patrick Mahomes the Second. After he moved the sticks on his own with a clutch QB sneak on 4th down that continued the game, he fed Reed, Pacheco, and Kelce for significant yardage. Once in the red zone, all Mahomes had to do was dump it off to Mecole Hardman, and the Kansas City Chiefs were Super Bowl Champions. The 25-22 victory solidified Patrick Mahomes as a generational talent at the quarterback position and officially made the Chiefs the winners of two consecutive Lombardi trophies.