The Courier

The student news site of The Delbarton School

The Courier

The Courier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Animal Kingdom’s Gene Kelly

Gene Kelly isn’t the only one who can tap dance on this earth
Blue Poison Frog (2010) by Smithsonian Institution. Original from Smithsonians National Zoo. Digitally enhanced by rawpixel.
rawpixel.com
Blue Poison Frog (2010) by Smithsonian Institution. Original from Smithsonian’s National Zoo. Digitally enhanced by rawpixel.

Tap dancers are not the only living creatures to tap their feet. Researchers have recently discovered numerous species of poisonous dart frogs that rapidly tap the middle toes on their hind feet. While studies are being conducted to explain the reason behind this intriguing phenomenon, there is a general consensus that it is helpful while hunting for insects. 

Biologists from the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) remarked that color poison dart frogs can tap up to 500 times per minute—a pace that is three times the speed of the swift Taylor Swift song, “Shake it Off”. 

In another study, fruit flies were placed in an enclosed petri dish where the frog could not reach them, resulting in fewer tapping motions. While some believed that tapping positively related to the ability to capture food, another research team disagreed. 

One hypothesis connected the intersection between leaves and the vibrations that motion caused. Frogs would tap on the leaves to encourage their prey to keep moving, aiding in their visibility. Another group suggested that vibrations caused by tapping attracted the insects closer to the frog like turtles sticking tongue out to mimic worms. But in classic science fashion, this hypothesis was also disproven. 

While the true reason still remains unknown, many biologists all agree that this case is quite particular of a predator using sensory cues to lure prey. Although many hypotheses are flying around in this fairly new discovery, current research groups are looking forward to following up on their observations and findings to conclude whether toe-tapping actually helps frogs in their meal search or if they’re purely doing it for the kick of it.