The Courier

The student news site of The Delbarton School

The Courier

The Courier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Big Names on the Move: Week 1 of NFL Free Agency

NFL free agency is off and running and has already been one of the most exciting in recent memory. Teams have been in the “tampering period” since Monday afternoon, and since then, there have been about 180 signings and moves across the NFL. 

So far, one of the biggest signings is Saquon Barkley from the NY Giants to the Philafelphia Eagles on a three-year, $37.75 million contract. Since the Eagles Super Bowl run in 2022, the team as a whole has not been the threat they were in the past. The signing of Saquon Barkley puts this offense on a whole new level, allowing them to be serious contenders for the 2025 Super Bowl in New Orleans. The Eagles have also made another significant moves on the defensive side of the ball by acquiring the Jets’ pass-rusher/linebacker Bryce Huff, who will also help put this defense that struggled last year, and bringing back CB C.J Gardener Johnson, who played a major role in the Eagle’s Super Bowl run and will help fix the Eagles’ secondary. All of these moves for the Eagles are great improvements and should repair all the problems they had last year, especially on the defensive side of the ball and their run game. They may be overpaying Saquon, but he will still have a great season and play a big role in this offense.

There has also been a lot of movement league-wide in the running back department. Top running backs such as Josh Jacobs (Packers), Austin Ekeler (Commanders), Derrick Henry (Ravens), Aaron Jones (Vikings), Joe Mixon (Texans), and Tony Pollard (Titans) all signed with new teams. The biggest singing out of these running backs is Derrick Henry to the Ravens. The Ravens have never had a power back next to Lamar Jackson, and with Henry in this backfield, the Ravens will have one of the best running games in the NFL and have a real shot at the Super Bowl in 2025. I also really like Joe Mixon to the Texans. Last year, the Texans, with Rookie quarterback CJ Stroud, won a playoff game without having a strong RB1. Next year, they will have Joe Mixon, which will help take some pressure off CJ Stroud, making this Texans team A LOT more competitive in the AFC. 

Speaking of the Texans, they also signed last year’s sack leader and superstar pass rusher, Danielle Hunter, to a 2-year deal worth $49 million. Hunter and Will Anderson on the Texans D-line will be a dangerous combo that no QB wants to face next year. Another big move was Brian Burns, DE, from the Panthers to the Giants. Even though the Giants may have a lackluster offense, they actually have one of the best defensive lines in football, with Brian Burns and Kayvon Thibodeaux rushing the quarterback. The Chiefs also got a deal done with their star defensive end, Chris Jones, who played an important part in this year’s Chiefs’ Super Bowl run.

As I write this article, future Hall of Famer and one of the best defensive players of all time, DE Aaron Donald, retired from the NFL after ten great seasons and one Super Bowl ring, adding more chaos to this off-season.  

There haven’t been too many moves in the QB department this free agency, but there have been two worthy of discussion. First, the Broncos released QB Russel Wilson, and quickly, Wilson signed a one-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers. This deal is really good for the Steelers as they only need to pay Wilson $1.2 million this year, but the Broncos need to pay about $38 million of Russel Wilson’s salary due to the contract he signed with the Broncos back in 2022. This move improved the Steelers’ QB situation, allowing them to be contenders for the AFC North title this year, especially with Mike Tomlin as Head Coach, anything is possible with the Steelers. Another BIG move was Kirk Cousins going to the Falcons on a huge 4-year, $180 million contract.  The Falcons may have finally found their quarterback, who will help this offense play on an improved level compared to last year. The Falcons are now the best team in the NFC South and have a real shot at making some noise during the season and even into the playoffs next year, depending on how Krik does on his new team with a new coach.  

The wide receiver market has been lackluster this year, with only a few signings and trades happening. Jaguars WR Calvin Ridley signed a deal with the Titans, paring him up with DeAndre Hopkins, creating a scary WR duo in Tennessee. Also, Keenan Allen was just traded to the Bears for ONLY a 4th-round pick, paring up DJ Moore and Allen in Chigaco, creating another scary duo. 

Overall, this year’s free agency, even though it is nowhere near being over, has been extremely exciting and will make for a fun, action-packed, and interesting 24-25 season.   Keep an eye on the upcoming NFL Draft on April 25-27 for your team’s future talent.