Reflections on Spirit Week

Eric Hsieh, Editor-In-Chief

One of my favorite movies is Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, an American Classic about a rebellious teen who cuts class in order to have fun in the streets of Chicago. A scene that has always stood out to me is the opening monologue. Ferris hilariously breaks the fourth wall and talks directly to the audience as he prepares for his big day of misadventures. Ferris famously ruminates, “Life goes by pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” I know I know. It’s a cliche line that people always seem to use around graduation time. However, as I near the end of my sixth year at Delbarton, I’m somewhat saddened by how true it is.

Ever since coming here in seventh grade, I have made so many fond memories of Delbarton Spirit Week. I remember the raucous laughter of the entire school as the Spirit Week 2013 video was played in the auditorium. I remember Alex Jung playing guitar and singing “Let Her Go” with his dog at the talent show. I remember the Harlem Shake with the great President JP Campbell. I remember seeing all my friends hypnotized by Skylar the Hypnotist and made to do ridiculous things on stage. I would not have gotten to have such awesome memories if I didn’t embrace the “spirit” of Spirit Week.

At Delbarton, life can seem to go at a million miles per hour. Due to the diverse talent of each Delbarton class, students feel the need to excel not only in academics, but in sports, arts, and other extracurricular activities. I also know that parents want their son to do everything possible to get into their “dream school” following graduation. While all of these pursuits are definitely worthwhile, we should always remember to live a little like Ferris Bueller. You can be so caught up in future plans, varsity tryouts, auditions and college admissions, that you miss the present. I know I’m partly guilty of this. 

My advice, take a break. Enjoy the moment. Go to that Hockey game. Go to that basketball game. Before you know it, it’s winter term of senior year. As American speed skater Bonnie Blair once said, “It’s sad to know I’m done. But looking back, I’ve got a lot of great memories.”