The Courier

The student news site of The Delbarton School

The Courier

The Courier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

“Anything Goes” a Great Success-

Musical is a Hit for Delbarton Students!

Throughout the three performances on February 9,10 and 11,Delbarton students and their families and friends  found themselves immersed in the atmosphere of the “Roaring Twenties” and a witness to a great musical production.  The plot involves Harcourt (Charlotte Cama), who plans to marry a British aristocrat, Lord Evelyn Oakleigh (Ryan Hall). However, things do not go according to paln when Billy Crocker enlists nightclub singer Reno Sweeney (Stella Burnside), who holds an unrequited love for Billy, and gangster Moonface Martin (Abdiel Perde) to help him derail the wedding. However, Billy has been mistaken for the infamous criminal Snakeyes Johnson, Public Enemy Number One, making his journey far more tumultuous than he could have imagined. Through a series of impeccably choreographed songs, Anything Goes succeeds in telling a story laden with emotional weight and laughter.

The production of Anything Goes stood out as an exemplary display of theater for three reasons. First, the music, comprised of instrumentals and vocals, sounded amazing and positively contributed to the story being told. Second, the actors and actresses displayed both smooth dance moves and charm, which made each character likable and fun to watch. Finally, the set in which the story takes place looks both awe-inspiring as well as realistic thanks to the Delbarton Stage Crew. The Delbarton Abbey Players put on a great show, a testament to both the cAst members on stage as well as the support staff behind the scenes who helped to make the show come to life.

However, one facet in which the show could have been augmented to be even better was character development on the part of the writer. While the characters of Billy and Hope demonstrated character arcs that led to a satisfying conclusion, the adjunct characters existed solely to effect the relationship between Billy and Hope, instead of having their own identity and personality in their own right. The story could have been even better if multiple characters underwent dynamic transformations. Although the character development could have been transformed to become even better, the musical still remained a personal favorite of mine and an experience I deeply enjoyed.

Full of life and laughter, Anything Goes. On the SS American, a young Wall Street broker by the name of Billy Crocker(Francesco Pontoreiro) stows aways in order to profess his love to Hope 

Throughout the three performances on February 9,10,11,Delbarton families found themselves immersed in the Roaring Twenties and a witness to a musicalHarcourt(Charlotte Cama), who is being married to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh(Ryan Hall). Billy Crocker enlists nightclub singer Reno Sweeney(Stella Burnside), who holds an unrequited love for Billy, and gangster Moonface Martin(Abdiel Perde) to help him stop the wedding. However, Billy has been mistaken 

Although the book has closed on the Winter Musical, audiences can look forward to the Delbarton One Act Festival on April 26 and 27 . With the successful Winter Musical and the promising One Acts to come, Delbarton arts has had a strong showcase of theatrical talent this year.