Run It Out 5K 2019

Derek Lattmann, Campus Ministry Editor

Just two weeks ago, the 8th annual “Brian E. Fleury Run It Out 5k” was held at Central Park in Parsippany, N.J. As many of you know, this race is run in honor of the late Brian Fleury, an influential teacher, and coach at Delbarton who passed away twelve years ago after a long battle with leukemia.

While this race was created as a Freshman Project, this annual event is held to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as well as to spread awareness to the local community. In fact, this year the Delbarton community raised $24,994, very close to the goal of $25,000.

The race organization was overseen by Mr. Bowers and student coordinators Finn Gannon, Karman Sandhu, Frankie Gialanella, Brendan McEnroe, and Derek Lattmann. The event itself was a smashing success despite the precarious weather conditions, with more than 250 Delbarton community members participating in the run.

In addition, Tim Fleury gave a heartfelt presentation prior to the start of the race. Year after year, the Delbarton community never fails to show support for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society through its generous donations and continues to make this community service event a special one. While aspects of the school may change, the tradition of this event will be upheld for years to come.

Even though the goal as a coordinator is to help the event run as efficiently as possible, I was able to take a step back that Sunday morning and realize the impact that this service project has on the community. Not only does money go towards finding effective treatments and cures to leukemia, but people are made aware of this horrible form of cancer. This knowledge could literally be life-saving. The “Run It Out 5k” is another example of how the strength of the brotherhood at Delbarton is a force of good.