Delbarton Student Profile: Matthew Lu ’25

Welcome all as Christ.

Kevin Jin, Staff Writer

Could you introduce yourself?

My name is Matthew Lu. I am a current sophomore. I transferred here from Ridge High School and live in Basking Ridge. I am 15 years old, and my birthday is July 16th.

What activities are you involved in (including sports)?

I play golf competitively. I also play ping pong for fun, and I am in the chess club.

What is your experience with golf?

At Ridge, I played on the varsity team. I’ve won various tournaments, including multiple tournaments in the Hurricane Junior Golf Tour.

What are your hobbies?

I enjoy playing chess as well as following professional chess. I also like to read.

What’s your favorite color, food, etc.?

My favorite colors are green and turquoise. I enjoy eating dumplings, and my favorite subject is math. My favorite genre is mythology, and my favorite author is Rick Riordan. Specifically, I like his Percy Jackson series the best. My favorite video game is Soul Knight.

What classes are you currently taking?

Spanish 1, Advanced Chemistry, World History 2, AP Calculus AB, and English 2.

What classes did you take last year?

History 1, English 1, American Sign Language 1, Honors Biology, and Honors Algebra 2. I took Precalculus over the summer at Delbarton.

How would you describe yourself?

I’m a social person; I enjoy group projects over individual projects. I’m very friendly and approachable; people can come to me for anything, whether it’s help with homework or just chatting.

How has your experience been at Delbarton so far?

It’s been very good. Compared to Ridge, it’s been much more welcoming. The teachers are very supportive and open to questions, and it’s great that I can schedule times to meet for extra help. Academics-wise, I’m learning a lot more than I was before, and the workload is reasonable. There are a lot more opportunities for me to get involved with clubs and various activities, and I am able to freely explore my interests.