The Courier

The student news site of The Delbarton School

The Courier

The Courier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The 2023 Great Pumpkin Hunt

Every fall, video game characters and copyrighted IPs spring to life in costume as sure as the autumn leaves fall. Amid this seasonal chaos, a yearly challenge promises big bounty and glory to its seeker. The Great Pumpkin Hunt, organized by Mr. Theroux and set on the campus of Delbarton School, is an enigma that challenges students to rack every recess of their brain, encapsulating everything from pop culture references to school culture.

On October 25 and every succeeding day, the hints were emblazoned in front of the science wing pendulum. They are as follows:

Just like FNaF, keep searching for me. Mike Schmidt’s life depends on it. The countdown begins now. 

Spirits are soaring after the slaughter of Spartans and Hornets. From my vantage it was one for posterity. 

Rise up like a zombie to hunt your goal. This quest is akin to moral and spiritual development, even for the undead. 

66 is shattered, but 77 is perdurable like the Galloping Ghost.”

The security office saw many a failed endeavor after the first clue, mentioning Five Nights at Freddy’s. Likewise, students descended on the recently built Pizzo Family Field House, given the underlying sports tones and homecoming references (Spartans and Hornets are the mascots of the teams Delbarton slaughtered in football and soccer, respectively). While it seemed that every cranny of Delbarton had been flooded with prospective seekers, it wasn’t until the fourth day that the pumpkin was discovered by Joe Scheaffer ’25, Zach Gordon ’25, and Sean Dooley ’25. Sitting atop an archive display case in the library, the pumpkin was tucked away right in plain sight. Indeed, the sports memorabilia matched the second clue, and “rise up like a zombie” hinted to the elevated position of the pumpkin. The last clue references the shattered mug in the case, holding the number 66. 

This annual event, masterminded with a blend of cultural wit and school lore, transformed the campus into a landscape where legends and school triumphs echo. The triumphant revelation, courtesy of Joe Scheaffer ’25, Zach Gordon ’25, and Sean Dooley ’25 was a moment of unity and intellectual curiosity that thrives within the school’s walls. The pumpkin, veiled in plain sight atop an archive display, serves as a metaphor for the elusive yet attainable knowledge that the school endeavors to impart.