The Courier

The student news site of The Delbarton School

The Courier

The Courier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Is Inflation Here to Stay?

An Economic Forecast for 2024

The question in the title may seem like it has a simple factor, but there are many variables that contribute to inflation and it is nearly impossible to predict the true direction of inflation.  However, many of these factors can be easily identified and explained.

First is interest rates. The Federal Reserve can change interest ratesto try to counter inflation, which they have been doing for the past year and a half. The principle is that the higher the interest rates, the less people want to spend, so inflation decreases. However, despite high interest rates people continued to spend this holiday season with record high spending numbers during Thanksgiving and Christmas. This means that inflation could be here to stay and could dissuade the Fed from lowering interest rates again.

Next, is the supply chain which got disrupted in 2020 due to COVID, which limited the production and distribution of many essential goods, specifically semiconductors. These issues are finally getting fully resolved which can also help bolster the economy and reduce prices which should lead to a decrease in inflation.

Ultimately, as we enter 2024, the path of inflation remains uncertain, with a multitude of factors at play. The interaction between fiscal policies, monetary policies, global supply chains, technological advancements, and geopolitical events (like wars in Europe and the Mid-east and the US Presidential election) will shape the inflationary landscape in the coming months. It is essential for all of us to be wary that the trajectory of inflation will have far-reaching implications for world financial markets and the broader economy. Some economists believe that this direction is not transitory, meaning inflation will be here to stay because of the current consumer spending habits.