An Open Letter to Underclassmen, on the Topic of Senior Privileges

Danny Maguire, Head Editor

To the Underclassmen, and Freshmen in particular:

Yes, the days of throwing you into the fountain if you are found to have crossed that quasi-sacred boundary of the Senior Garden are over. Perhaps sadly, that tradition has not been invoked for years. Regardless of the presence of a punishment, however, the simple rule, no entry until senior year, should not be broken.

The Senior Garden is a privilege that everyone who comes through this school shares with their closest brothers for one year, and one year only. That is the bottom line. In order to enjoy this privilege, the tradition must be respected, else it becomes meaningless. This is not unfair. Everyone went through at least three years of waiting, waiting, and walking around. I spent five years in such a manner. Last year’s seniors, this year’s seniors, next year’s seniors all went through it, respecting the tradition. Inevitably, someday all underclassmen who last through senior year will share in the privilege. The only time it does become unfair is when someone does not wait, creating a rift between those who give respect to the senior’s tradition and the few who do not.

The garden is very special area to walk through and be in, but only if you allow it to be. It is elegant, convenient, beautiful, private, and filled with friends, but only if you let it be so. Like anything, you simply will not be able to appreciate it until you know what it is to long for it. When you cut through the garden regularly as an underclassman, you make it mundane for yourself. The rich man takes his food for granted, not knowing hunger. The poor man has tasted the dirt at his feet and is liberated to savor every morsel for life.

There are exceptions, of course. Emergencies, homecoming, events that take place in the garden. You may savor those too as a sort of appetizer to the senior main course.

The same concepts apply to the Senior commons, and to Senior “cuts” in the lunch line. Do not feel bitterness or resentment against us for these apparent inconsistencies among a school of brothers, for they are not inconsistencies at all, and you too will know their grace.

Thus, know that such transgressions are a scourge to yourselves.

~A senior.