Student of the Week: William Li

Matthew Harper, Editor-in-Chief

William Li ‘21 has been selected as this week’s Student of the Week! Although only a freshman, William has caught the attention of many students and teachers for numerous, positive reasons. In addition to taking Linear Algebra this year (yes, as a freshman!), he also participates in many extracurricular activities.

In a brief interview with William, he explained how he most enjoyed debate.  “I joined the Delbarton Public Forum Debate team last January with my partner (fellow freshman) Connor Teehan, and it has been an excellent experience. Preparing for debate is an arduous process, but it really pays-off. In addition, like other sports, during tournaments, you really feel a sense of solidarity with the team.” William also participates in the percussion ensemble and the wind ensemble. Outside of school, he takes art classes and competition physics classes on the weekends.

William Li has a natural affinity for mathematics. When he came to Delbarton in seventh grade, he self-studied the AP Calculus BC course. This achievement allowed him to take AP Statistics last year and Linear Algebra this year. Mrs. Lee, Linear Algebra teacher, said, “A freshman in Linear Algebra? That’s crazy!!” Not crazy at all, if you know William Li. Mrs. Lee continues, “Will fits right in with this select group of talented mathematicians, both academically and socially. He brings tremendous insights to the class but can also joke around with the best of them.”

In addition, William has also received numerous awards throughout his brief time at Delbarton. He won the English and Math Awards, was a Semifinalist in the Broadcom Science Fair Competition, received gold medal in the US Math Talent Search, and qualified for the American Invitational Math Exam. As a freshman, he is also an AP Scholar with Distinction, because he has earned 5’s on five different AP exams.

As a student and friend of William Li, I can say that he is a great person. Even though he wants to succeed in his academics, he is mindful of other people. Indeed, he always takes the opportunity to help other students in need of help and advice.

Congratulations to William Li on receiving Student of the Week!