Gordon Cup Review

Christian Agathis, Sports Editor

Succisa Virescit. This Latin phrase and Delbarton motto sums up the Green Wave hockey triumphs on February 16th. The Wave was heading into the game as the number 2 seed, with Don Bosco, their opponent, as the number 1 seed. Don Bosco had previously beaten Delbarton on two occasions during the regular season, and the Green and White were looking for vengeance. Delbarton Senior Andrew Bosland admitted that “coming into this third game, since [they] lost the first two, [they] were really mad and just really wanted the win.” The Wave got their wish, as they defeated their rivals in overtime to win 2-1.

Unlike the two regular-season matchups, Delbarton was dominant for the majority of the game. Even though they kept the puck in the offensive zone for most of the game, Don Bosco struck first in the first period. Later, in the second period, Bosco scored again but the goal was waved off. Afterwards, sophomore Bayard Hall tied the game a few minutes into the third period, thanks to the assist from Bosland. Thanks to saves from Bosco’s goalie and Kenny Burgess, the Wave’s netminder, Don Bosco and Delbarton headed into overtime at one apiece.

In overtime, Delbarton rushed into the offensive zone, and a pass from Junior Michael Balzarotti set up the game-winning goal for Bosland. The Wave then piled up against the glass, met by Delbarton’s pit and their thundering cheers. Despite the cup win, the bitter rivals have another chance to face each other at the grandest scale; a matchup at Prudential Center for the Non-Public state final on March 5th, where Delbarton hopes to win yet another state championship.