The Green Waves: An Overview of the Delbarton Swim Team’s 2017-2018 Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Yash Nakadi, Staff Writer

As the winter sports season comes to an end, and the hockey sticks get replaced with lacrosse sticks, it becomes necessary to report on and summarize the highlights and accomplishments of our various, incredible winter season sports teams. While our hockey, basketball, squash, wrestling and bowling teams had amazing seasons, one team that had one of the strongest openings ever, and one that I am proud to represent, is the swim team. The swim team, coached by Mr. Manno and Ms. Connelly, featured a stellar roster of swimmers of all levels of skill and experience, from those who began swimming this year to those who are nationally ranked. But regardless of skill level, we all worked together to make miracles happen and underscore Coach Manno’s famous mantra that “Greatness doesn’t quit!”

This year, the Delbarton Swim Team achieved a record of 11-0 in the preliminary meets. This sterling record included the defeat of Morristown, a serious rival, in a blowout. At the same time we came out victorious at the Morris County Championships, winning by over a 100 point margin and breaking not one, not two, but four meet records. Then at the NJSIAA Swim Meet, Delbarton came in a close third place in the top division. While we faced a sudden, unexpected loss at the first meet of the state tournament, our accomplishments are unprecedented throughout Delbarton’s swimming career. While mentioned at the end of morning meetings, our undefeated prelim record and our domination of the county tournament should be first and foremost in the subject of Delbarton Athletics.

I want to mention a few exceptional athletes within our group. Sean Taylor ‘18, Jon Hua ‘18, Eric Kohut ‘18 and Thomas Shepanzyk ‘19 were all admiral captains who ensured that we were pumped and determined to win for the Green Wave, while also being amazing swimmers on their own. From there, Jack Alexy ‘21, Justin Yang ‘18, Brandon Li ‘18, Ryan Park ‘21, Andrew Gaston ‘21 were exceptional members of our team. Of course, there are many more swimmers worthy of recognition.

In the end, the story of the Delbarton Swim Team is one of immense success and of a standard that all sports team should seek to uphold. I never had a dull moment at any of the meets I attended, whether I was cheering for my teammates at the top of my lungs or ensuring that the scores were perfect. An undefeated preliminary record in one of the toughest counties in the state was no easy feat, and our 11 uncontested wins came with hours of intense training and constant support and determination from the coaches, the captains and ourselves.

As a side note, for all those interested in joining the swim team, I could not recommend it more. Even if you have no experience, you will quickly develop into a varsity caliber, meet and befriend new brothers and get to make awesome experiences. You will have endless opportunities to ask Coach Manno if we have a snow day the following day; he won’t mind.