Seton Hall Prep Football Preview

Christian Agathis, Sports Editor

“This is by far the biggest week of the year thus far … [Seton Hall Prep] comes to town Saturday.” – Student Body President Thomas Colicchio.

On Saturday, October 13th, Seton Hall Prep comes to Delbarton to play the Wave in football. Everybody, including all Delbarton and Seton Hall Prep students, has this date marked on their calendar due to the implications of the game. The Pirates have been Delbarton’s greatest rival since before anybody can remember, and every matchup between these two successful football programs never disappoints the hundreds of students and alumni who attend.

First, a breakdown of the opponent. Seton Hall has won their past four games, putting up an average of 32 points in each showing. Before this tear, however, Prep started the season with two huge losses, allowing a combined 103 points to Depaul and Archbishop Carroll (PA). In their last game, Seton Hall Prep pulled off one of the gutsiest moves in all of football; going for the two-point conversion rather than opting to tie the game with an extra point. This gamble paid off for Prep and brought them to 4-2 on the season. Their quarterback, Senior Aidan Gilman, has been a force through the air thus far, posting a 57% completion percentage, 760 total yards, and a 3:1 touchdown to interception ratio. The Wave will need to pressure Gilman and force him to make mistakes in order to win on Saturday.

The Wave has had a similar season to SHP, registering consecutive losses before a winning streak. Delbarton got off to a slow start to the year, going 1-3 in their first 4 games. In a “Friday Night Lights” game at Morris Knolls, however, their season turned around. The Wave ruined Knolls’ homecoming by shutting them out 31-0 on September 28th. A week later, Delbarton traveled to Sparta’s Pope John XXIII and pummeled the Lions by a score of 27-0. In all, Delbarton is 3-3 on the season. Mike Jarmolowich has emerged as the Wave’s best player. Against Morris Knolls, he caught two touchdown passes for more than 80 yards, and had a third touchdown on a fumble return. In their last game, against Pope John, Jarmolowich had another 90-yard fumble return for a touchdown. To win on Saturday, the Wave has to get the ball to Jarmolowich.

In the schools’ one common game, both teams lost to Depaul. While Delbarton lost by a mere 7 points, Prep lost by a whopping 46. Both of these losses were the most recent ones of their seasons, and they set off winning streaks for both schools.

The attendance on Saturday afternoon will be huge from both schools. It is crucial that as many Delbarton students as possible attend this game, as it could shape up to be the greatest one of the year.