Delbarton Artists’ Collective

CJ Gasser, Editor-in-Chief

“I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people”- Vincent Van Gogh

The Delbarton Artists’ Collective is a new organization this year at Delbarton. Run by Ms. Diane Lopez, Ms. Caitlin Servilio, Colin Sutter, and myself, the club works to bring students together in all grade levels and backgrounds to discuss and create art. Over the course of the current school year, we have done projects like clay sculptures, oil paintings, acrylic murals, and T-Shirt making.

Last spring, I sat down with Ms. Servilio to discuss my goals for the club and what I felt would be the best way to approach this new and exciting organization. We believed that the overall goal of the organization is to help students understand and contextualize the beauty and power of art. One of our most exciting ventures this year was our Lady of Guadalupe Mural for the Diversity Among Peer’s (DAP) group and Hispanic Heritage Month at Delbarton. This mural illustrates the beauty and influence of the Lady of Guadalupe in Hispanic Culture. Within this mural, there is a large painting of the Lady of Guadalupe alongside two beautiful calla lily flowers. Within the flowers, little messages were written on the canvas giving thanks to the Lady of Guadalupe. This was an profoundly meaningful experience not only for the artists involved but for the Delbarton community as a brotherhood. This painting can be found on the first floor of the Science Wing.

Over the next few months, The teacher/moderators and students hope to increase overall participation and continue our involvement in the Delbarton Arts community.  If you have ever had an interest in art, I highly encourage you to stop by at a meeting. We serve amazing refreshments and always have new and exciting projects! Art has had such a huge impact on my life and continues to influence my overall understanding of Delbarton and the world itself. The Delbarton Art Department works rigorously to introduce students to the power and glory of art in society, and how art can change one’s perspective of nature, others, and most importantly themselves. This club encourages students explore their artistic curiosities and endeavors. My hope for the future of Delbarton is that every student has the opportunity to experience art in the way I have over these past six years. The Delbarton Artists’ Collective is the perfect opportunity for students to lose themselves in the mystifying and majestic ways of art, to grow in mind, body, and spirit.

I encourage you to get involved in the Delbarton Artists’ Collective. When you see an announcement or a flyer announcing the “Delbarton Artists’ Collective will be having a meeting”, I highly encourage you to stop and to experience the power of Art and the power of community.