Basketball Season Review

Conall Nugent, Staff Writer

As of now, the varsity basketball team is 18-7 over twenty-five games played. Despite a loss to Jefferson in the Morris County Basketball Tournament, the team still has more games left in the season.

For the first time in more than twenty years, the basketball team played a home game for the New Jersey Non-Public North A State Tournament. The Paramus Catholic Paladins, who were 11-13 on the season, came to Delbarton on February 26 in one of Delbarton’s most anticipated basketball games in the last several years. The Paladins were seeded ninth overall in the tournament and the Green Wave held the eighth seed. Senior Jaedon Khubani led the Green Wave to their first state home win in recent memory, as he contributed with twenty-five points in the game.

Following the win against the Paladins, the Green Wave basketball team will face the Bergen Catholic Crusaders on February 28. The Crusaders earned the number one seed for this tournament after going 22-3 and concluding the season with a win over the fourth-ranked Don Bosco Ironmen. The team is in high spirits because of their strong performances this year and look to make a run in the state tournament. Junior center Dean Smith believes that “anything can happen” in the state tournament while Junior Jeff Douglas realizes that “it’s gonna be a tough game against one of the best teams in the state.”

Highlights of the season so far include two wins over neighboring school West Morris Mendham High School. In fact, the Green Wave opened up the season with a thrilling game against the Minutemen which concluded with a Delbarton victory of 61 to 58. Yet again, the basketball team defeated the Minutemen in another three-point game later in the season. Make sure you get out and support the Green Wave basketball team in their upcoming games as they look to extend their season throughout the Non-Public A North tournament.