Freshman Soccer 2019 Year End

Since changing the team’s formation, “the team has outscored opponents 43-4.”

Patrick Moore, Staff Writer

The Delbarton freshman soccer team completed an impressive 14 wins, 2 losses, and 3 ties in its 2019 campaign. After winning the first two games, the team tied Morristown 1-1 at home. The team then rallied and defeated Mendham 2-0 at Mendham. Chatham proved to be a difficult team and tied Delbarton 0-0 in a hard-fought rivalry match-up. Next, St. Benedict’s Prep was a strong opponent and handed the team its first loss, 6-1. After dismantling Morris Knolls 7-1, the team dropped a challenging game against a very talented Christian Brothers Academy team. 

Following this tough loss, Coach Thompson decided to switch the team’s formation. Since doing so, the team has outscored opponents 43-4 and has defeated Randolph, St. Peter’s Prep, Delran, Morristown, Chatham, and Morris Knolls! After defeating Morris Knolls 5-0, the team won the league championship. 

Not only was the team off to a great start in league play, but they also decimated St. Peter’s Prep in the Delbarton freshmen tournament, winning 6-0 and then won a tough, hard-fought overtime thriller against rival Mountain Lakes.  After a great turnaround this year, Coach Thompson revealed that “the freshman soccer team is having an outstanding season. After some tough ties and losses early on, the team has rebounded, winning its last six games and defeating Mountain Lakes in the semi-finals of the Delbarton Freshman Tournament to earn a spot in the finals against Madison.” Mr. Thompson’s adjustments to the team’s formation proved to be hugely beneficial, and his actions, as well as those of the team’s captains, have resulted in a very positive season.

The team prevailed over Madison in a 4-0 triumph to win the freshman tournament championship with timely goals from Josh Hepplewhite, Jorian Michelis, Kevin Cull, and Marco Maselli. After the win, co-captain Marco Maselli noted that, “It is great to see such an amazing group of players come together for the first time on the soccer field just a few months ago and produce such amazing results. Every player on the team worked hard and contributed to the successful season.” 

The team then concluded its season on the road at arch-rival Seton Hall Prep with a hard-fought 1-1 draw at Seton Hall Prep. 

Reflecting on the season, co-captain Ronnie Rodriguez said “we knew our team had a lot of potential to be good, and we worked on it during the season. The hard work paid off, and we learned from some mistakes and got back into it.  In the end, we all were happy with the results and ended up as freshman tournament champs. It was a great season with the boys, and we all have great memories that we will never forget in the future.”