Keeping Up with Wave Basketball

Wave Grabs #2 Seed in the County!

Sachin Gulati, Staff Writer

The Delbarton Varsity Basketball Team, led by senior captains Dean Smith, Jerry Jabbour, and Isaiah Washington are marching through the New Jersey league picking up victory after victory. The team started off the season at Mendham and won handily, 64-51 – an impressive feat against one of our biggest rivals along with one of the rowdiest pits from Delbarton ever. After taking Christmas off, the team battled Wayne Valley on the 26th at home and won 73-57. At 2-0, the Wave suffered a loss to West Morris 45-60. After the tough loss at home, the team looked to bounce back with their last two games of Christmas break. Mendham traveled to Delbarton for a rematch, and the Green Wave came out strong with another impressive win of 53-41. To finish the break, the Wave won at Randolph 48-33, looking strong at 4-1.

On January 5th, the team had their first game of 2020 against Montgomery High School and picked up a 58-47 win at home, and later in the week, the team decimated Pope John 69-27. At an impressive 6-1, the team went into the weekend ready to play a tough game against another rival, Summit. In a close game attended by many members of the Delbarton community, the team suffered a heartbreaking loss at Summit 62-63. The team played hard and put up their best fight only to lose by one measly point in a very frustrating manner.

However, the team turned this frustration into motivation. In line with the school’s motto succisa virescit, the heartbreaking loss was followed by six straight victories. The team won 58-54 at Chatham, took down Sparta 62-56, clobbered New Providence 62-30, beat Morristown-Beard 58-51, and routed Morristown 55-32. 

Riding this win streak, the team came one of the most anticipated games of the year: a Friday night brawl home against Mendham. For the third time this season, Delbarton faced their biggest rival in basketball. Dozens upon dozens of Delbarton and Mendham students alike flooded into the gym to watch their teams battle it out; they were not disappointed. In a low-scoring and back-and-forth affair, the Wave was able to complete the three-game sweep of the season with a 37-31 win. 

Regarding the game, captain Jerry Jabbour noted “It was a great team win, the third time in a row against Mendham this year. Great turnout from the boys. We’re looking to keep it rolling.” Indeed, it was a team effort, as seven players had at least one point and one rebound despite there only being 37 points scored. 

The basketball team, now 12-2, looks stronger than ever and ready for any challenge that comes their way. Be prepared for a packed February of basketball with their next game on February 4th at home against Randolph.