Jack Alexy ’21 wins the 100 meter freestyle at the TYR Pro Swim Series

Jack Alexy ’21 an Elite Swimmer

Nicholas Yoo, Editor-in-Chief

The annual TYR Pro Swim Series is one of the most prestigious meets for a swimmer to attend. This year, the 2023 TYR Pro Swim Series was hosted at the FMC Natatorium in Westmont, Illinois from April 12 to 15. Athletes in attendance included US Olympic medalists, aquatic champions and world record holders such as Leah Smith, Bobby Finke, Kieran Smith, Lydia Jacoby, and Michael Andrew. This event ultimately acts as a qualifier for swimmers to compete at the Phillips 66 International Team Trials and decide rosters for the 2023 World Aquatics Championships and World Junior Championships. Additionally, Pro Swim is an official qualifier for the US Olympic Trials next year as well as the 2024 Paris Olympics Qualifier. 

Among the elite group of world-class swimmers was one of Delbarton’s own, Jack Alexy ’21. Now a sophomore swimmer at UC Berkeley,  Jack has proven he is currently one of the fastest swimmers in the country. While originally qualifying for three events (50 meter backstroke, 50 meter freestyle, and 100 meter freestyle), his swimming prowess shone in the 50 meter freestyle. Winning 1st in the event beating the aforementioned Michael Andrew, he clocked a personal best time at 22.0 seconds, which places him 0.93 seconds shy from the world record set by American swimmer Caeleb Dressel in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. In a recent interview, Alexy stated that coming out of the previous season, zeroing in on his goals truly allowed him to get to the next level of training and performance. 

However, Alexy’s success was not meteoricdid not come without a lot of hard work and steady progress.  Swimming for Greater Somerset County YMCA Storm (his club team), he won the 100 free at both 2018 Junior Nationals and YMCA Nationals, set the 17-18 National Age Group record in the 100m free, clocking 48.69 for a ninth-place prelims race finish, and a 3-time USA Swimming National Junior Team member (2019-20, 2020-21, 2021-22). If that wasn’t enough, shortly after graduating from Delbarton, he was also a semifinalist in the 100m free (10th, 48.82) at the 2021 US Olympic Trials.  

Alexy’s win reminds not just swimmers but also all athletes, the importance of being able to dream high and putting in the effort to reach that dream.