A New Addition: The Current Events Club

Matthew Harper, Staff Writer

In the past few weeks, you may have noticed a change that occurred at Delbarton. Although subtle at first, it has gained a great amount of momentum. The Current Events Club, founded by Matthew Harper ’18 and Hudson Lee ’18, is what it appears to be: a club about current events. Students discuss a variety of topics, taking into account various political, demographic, and social issues. A major emphasis of this club is that everyone contributes to the discussion, either through paideia discussions, Socratic seminars, or debates. For students who are not able to commit themselves to the rigorous schedule of the Forensic Society or any other debating forums, they can still be active debaters through the Current Events Club.

As one student stated, “The Current Events Club has certainly sparked quite a few enjoyable debates, fostering intelligent conversation among students.” Evidently, the club has gained an immense amount of popularity. In addition, many teachers are impressed to see the great amount of enthusiasm that is present. Where is this club exactly going? The answer is that it is going places. The goals of the founders are to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to contribute their own ideas and generally learn about what other people think on certain political issues.

In the near future, the Current Events Club will have its first debate, discussing gun control. Selected by the leaders, six debaters and three moderators will have the opportunity to battle it out. Moderators will pose various questions that will catalyze the debaters’ thinking and make them further consider the topic at hand.