The Faculty vs. Student Basketball Game: A Great Conclusion to Spirit Week

Matthew Harper, Staff Writer

After a great week of spirit week activities, meticulously planned out by Student Body President Dan Cimaglia, the long-awaited Student vs. Faculty basketball game quickly arrived. As everyone piled into the bleachers, ready to see a heated match.  Both sides warmed up, stretched, and made motivational speeches to one another to boost morale. Two referees were present, ready to keep the game in motion. After everyone was ready, student announcer Matt Bicknese introduced players for the student section, joking around and simply having fun.

However, when the game started, the students became serious. To put it simply, the faculty dominated for the entire duration. Mr. White and Mr. Negrin are two notable players that shined and demonstrated their excellent basketball skills. Mr. White was able to easily keep the game on the offensive and continuously scored points from the three-point line in addition to other basic shots. Furthermore, Mr. Negrin caught the students off guard with back-court steals. The rest of the teachers also had strong performances. The students were shaken up, but continued to persist throughout. The faculty ended the game with a ten point lead, declaring themselves victors in front of the entire school.

One comical moment in the match was when the referee made a call that put the student players at an advantage. As the students in the bleachers cheered, the referee waved his hand vertically towards them, signaling them to cheer louder. It was great to witness a moment of laughter in the midst of such an intense battle.

The students were a bit unprepared when faced against the skill of the faculty. Instead of taking shots that they could have, they tried to confuse the faculty by continuously passing around the three-point line. Although this tactic worked sometimes, using a more offensive approach to the game would have proved more successful. In all, the students and the faculty, both on and off the court, had a great time, bringing Spirit Week to an entertaining close.