Spring Orchestral Concert

Spring Orchestral Concert

Eric Hsieh, Contributor

On March 6, the Delbarton Orchestra conducted its annual Spring Concert. This concert, undoubtedly, proved to be another huge success.

Up first was the Young Abbey Orchestra,  directed by Ms. Samantha Tomblin. For their first piece, they played Symphony No. 12 in G Major by Mozart. Then, they followed-up with  Arlington Sketches by Eliot Del Borgo, Spring Breezes, an old Taiwanese folk song, Durango Tango by Doris Gazda, and finally Mystical Towers, by Jeremy Woolstenhulme. Overall, the Young Abbey Orchestra, although composed of students mainly in middle school, played their pieces masterfully. Their great playing really revealed how much hard work and effort they put into their practices and rehearsals.

Next, the Abbey Orchestra, directed by Mrs. Norma Davis, took the stage. For their first piece, they played all four movements of the famous St. Paul’s Suite by Gustav Holst. This amazing piece featured a lively and fast-paced jig for the first movement, a peaceful melody for the second movement, a dark and mysterious tone for the third movement, and an energetic finale. For their next piece, the Abbey Orchestra played Concerto for Two Violins in D minor by J.S. Bach, perhaps his most famous violin work. Andrea Berman and Kelly Yaur, two violin soloists, led this beautiful piece. Then the orchestra performed Pavane pour une infant defunte by Maurice Ravel, a very emotional and sad piece. To top it off, the orchestra finished with Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso by Camille Saint Saen in which Kane Gui played expertly played the solo.

All in all, the Spring Orchestral concert was another gigantic success, reflecting how important the arts are at Delbarton. The Abbey Orchestra gets little rest as they will perform another concert in April.