Interview with One Acts 2016 Student Director Gerard Menna ’16

Interview with One Acts 2016 Student Director Gerard Menna 16

23222.large

Every year, Delbarton School puts on three productions: a fall drama, a winter musical, and a spring One-Acts festival. Of the three, the One-Acts festival provides uniqueness as a primarily student-run show. I sat down with Gerard Menna ’16, one of the four student writers/directors of this year’s festival, and asked him several questions. The following is a transcript of said interview.

TDC: What are the One-Acts?

Gerard Menna: The One-Acts are student-written and student-directed plays of one act in length that feature Delbarton students and girls from other schools. They are always lighthearted, fun, and enormously entertaining!

TDC: Who are the writers?

Gerard Menna: The writers are myself (Gerry Menna), John Paciga, Jack Schroeder, and Chris Connors, and this is actually all our second time directing a one-act at Delbarton.

TDC: Who runs the program?

Gerard Menna: The program is run by Mr. Pillette, as it has been for a few years now. We’ve also had the pleasure to recently work with and learn from Mr. Wyatt and Dr. Carlson.

TDC: Who acts in the One-Acts (not specific names, just like the age range)?

Gerard Menna: The One-Acts are generally diverse in age. This year, we have students ranging from 9th to 12th grade. In the past, we’ve also had middle schoolers, too.

TDC: What was the writing process like?

Gerard Menna: For me, personally, I wrote my one-act as part of my Creative Writing class. My play actually came into fruition after a small, two page scene that was just supposed to be an exercise. However, the idea blossomed and I kept writing and rewriting until I got it where it is now! As for time, I started the writing process at the end of November. Usually, people start around that time as well, especially since the one-acts are due by the end of January.

TDC: How many people are involved?

Gerard Menna: We usually have about 20-30 people every year that act. Directors generally range from 4 directors to 6.

TDC: How much work has gone into this production?

Gerard Menna: Each one-act has been practicing since the middle of February. We’ve been blocking, running lines, memorizing, working on characterization, anything you can think of. Everyone in these productions has put in so much work, and they should all be very proud.

TDC: Why do you like the One-Acts?

Gerard Menna: Well, I can only really speak about performing and writing, as I’ve never actually seen the one-acts from the audience’s view. But if someone wants to act in them, what I’d say first is that performing in the one-acts is one of the best decisions I’ve made in my time at Delbarton. They’re always funny, you get to know so many great people, and they’re good for experience for new actors.

TDC: What are the plays generally about?

Gerard Menna: The plays are almost always comedies. Because they’re student written, most jokes are generally written with a younger audience in mind, and so I personally always find them funny. I’ve also noticed over my four years acting in them that there’s always a murder mystery. It’s most likely not on purpose, but the murder-mystery genre is consistent in the One-Acts and always delivers.

TDC: Why should people come?

Gerard Menna: People should come to see their friends act in hilarious, but time-conscious plays. I’ve read every script this year, and I’ve seen some practices. And, after knowing the actors as well as I do, I can say that every play this year is interesting, entertaining, and sure to make the audience roar with laughter. If that isn’t enough, the One Act Festival is a good event to come out and support friends doing what they love.

TDC: When is it?

Gerard Menna: The One Act Festival takes place Friday, April 15th and Saturday, April 16th at 7:30 PM both nights. They should last about two hours, but I can guarantee that you would wish they would go on for longer.