The Sound Wave

Matthew Harper, Delbarton Life Editor

The Sound Wave, Delbarton’s new a cappella group, has generated great interest and enthusiasm over the past two weeks. This singing group is oriented towards providing a supportive community for novice as well as experienced vocalists alike. By providing a unique opportunity for Delbarton students to participate in a singing group, the group aims to expand the a cappella opportunities offered on campus. Furthermore, this group focuses primarily on modern music, which further creates interest for Delbarton students that would not normally sing. As the founder and leader of The Sound Wave, I certainly received some skepticism that the group would not generate enough interest and people would rather opt for the other choral groups. However, this group has experienced success and now has regular rehearsals.

But what exactly differentiates The Sound Wave from other choral groups at Delbarton? The Benedictones, the other a cappella group here at Delbarton, sings primarily barbershop, jazz, and classic rock. Additionally, this group is oriented towards Schola Cantorum members and people must audition to get into the group. However, The Sound Wave is open to all students, allowing students who might not normally sing to join and learn. Furthermore, The Sound Wave provides students with the opportunity to sing a wider variety of songs. If a song does not fit the parameters of “modern music,” the group will decide if they want to incorporate it into their program.

The Sound Wave is currently rehearsing “The Longest Time” by Billy Joel. The members are very excited and enthusiastic about this song, and are working to do their best. Although singing quality is very important to the success of any singing group, we also want to have fun. In the coming months, we will be performing in the choral concerts, the Coffee Houses, and other venues.