Homecoming Pep Rally 2016

Matthew Harper, Delbarton Life Editor

As Homecoming Day quickly approached, the entire student body was excited to see what Student Body President Liam Higgins had in store for the 2016 Pep Rally. Everyone piled into the bleachers—eager to see what would happen—as Liam Higgins walked into the center of the gymnasium dressed as an old bearded figure from the Old Testament. As the beat dropped, he raised his lacrosse stick and slammed it against the floor. Immediately, the seniors in front of him toppled to either side and created an opening for Liam to walk through, recreating Moses’ parting of the Red Sea.

As per tradition for this event, Liam called up the respective captains of each fall sport. They discussed upcoming sporting events, addressed a number of rumors, and made a few jokes. For example, Charles Cadena ‘17 was asked why he always sleeps on the benches in the science wing before school. His answer:  “Because I am tired.” After the interviews, the lights went dark and everyone was quiet. James “Skegs” Visceglia walked into the gymnasium with his lightsaber. Soon after, Michael Morgan came in a black cape with the obvious intention of defeating ‘Skegs.’ As the Star Wars inspired battle ensued, it was clear that Morgan was no match for ‘Skegs,’ who was deemed the victor.

The highlight of the pep rally featured Giancarlo Calle ‘17. Using his samurai sword, Giancarlo became the living incarnation of the video game Fruit Ninja. Members of the senior council threw fruits of all types, including bananas and melons, at Giancarlo. Surprisingly, he cut most of the fruit that came his way. Although it must have been a challenge for Giancarlo, cleaning up would certainly require much more effort.

The 2016 Delbarton Pep Rally was certainly a delight for all in attendance even though some moments could have been improved. Liam Higgins asserted, “The Pep Rally was one of my most memorable experiences at Delbarton. We prepared all throughout the summer and fall, so seeing our hard work come to fruition was amazing.” Certainly, the Pep Rally did its job for the following day as all students were ready to show their support for the Delbarton Football Team.