The Courier

The student news site of The Delbarton School

The Courier

The Courier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Weight Loss Drug May Treat Alcohol Addiction

A Happy Side-effect?

Recently, scientists have made a shocking discovery that could change the world of alcohol addiction and recovery forever.

Alcohol use disorder (AUD), also known as alcoholism, is a reliance on alcohol that makes people dependent on the consumption of alcohol to function both physically and mentally and remains a leading issue among the US population. In a study by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, it was found that alcohol consumption leads 140,000 deaths per year in the United States, causing over 30% of driving related deaths and about 25% of suicides. Despite attempts to intervene in suffering from addiction and prevent future cases, AUD remains a prevalent issue with no solid cure.

Not long ago, however, researchers found that the compound semaglutide may help in abating alcohol dependence and addiction. Semaglutide is an active ingredient in medications such as Ozempic and Wegovy that are involved with weight loss and diabetes treatment. While on such medications, patients noted that they had a lessened desire to consume alcohol. After identifying semaglutide as the possible cause of this phenomenon, researchers conducted a study, asking subjects how they felt about drinking alcohol after taking the medication. The experiment found that 72% of the people tested felt decreased urges to drink alcohol and a higher tolerance to the effects, indicating that semaglutide may have some potential to treat AUD.

Semaglutide’s mitigative effects on alcohol cravings may actually stem from its effects on diabetes and weight loss. Semaglutide is a glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), which modify dopamine levels in the brain to decrease urges. GLP-1s work on diabetes and weight regulation by reducing one’s desire to eat outside of times of need. It may impact alcohol addiction in a similar manner by diminishing impulses to consume alcohol. Semaglutide also has the potential to treat other drug addictions by preventing urges to continue taking those drugs.

Although it has not been clinically approved for AUD treatment, Semaglutide may well be a plausible treatment option for alcoholism after further testing. Future research may also reveal its potential to treat other addictions and disorders.