Call to Service at St. Mary’s Abbey!

Peter Butler, Staff Writer

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”-Mahatma Gandhi.

Delbarton prides itself on the vast number of service opportunities for students and their families to get involved in throughout the year.  However, some programs are often overlooked due to lack of advertising and information. In particular, the programs within St. Mary’s Abbey are in need of member participation. Nonetheless, Saint Mary’s Abbey is always looking for lectors, cantors, and altar servers to help celebrate weekly mass. Masses take place on Sunday mornings when most Delbarton Students (who are Catholic) go to church anyway. Getting involved in the Mass at Delbarton has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my Delbarton career.

I have been cantoring for Mass intermittently since my sophomore year. I believe that one of the main reasons that many students find it hard to do service is because they have not found their passion in the service. By contrast, the reason that some of my brothers and I keep coming back week after week is because not only do we feel like we are fulfilling our duty of service, but we find passion and fulfillment in serving the congregation, the monks at the Abbey, and most importantly, serving the Lord.

At the Abbey, there are many different positions that welcome partipants every week. The organist, Mr. Hatcher, is always looking for cantors and or a choir for Masses. He is available during the week to teach that week’s music during an M-Block, and for a full sing-through at ten o’clock on the morning of the Mass. For any student looking to increase their vocal or instrumental performance experience, cantoring or playing at mass is an excellent opportunity to read, learn and perform an often underappreciated style of music, liturgical hymns. If singing or playing is not a student’s strength, one can also be a lector. Service does not get any easier than reading a passage fluently, clearly, and slowly to spread the Lord’s message to the congregation. Although, if any performance at all is overwhelming for a student, the Abbey Altar Association (A.A.A.) is a group of young men who work with Fr. Edward to serve mass weekly. The information network is on Schoology, where students can reach out according to their interest and availability. No experience is necessary; A.A.A. can provide training for new altar servers.

These three groups are always in need of volunteers, since many people have commitments that coincide with Sunday morning mass. Saint Mary’s Abbey needs students to help especially around special celebrations (Advent, Christmas, Holy Week). It is my hope that Saint Mary’s Abbey continues the tradition of using volunteer students in important roles for the celebration of the mass. For students looking for meaningful service while growing closer to God, I highly recommend getting involved!

“Whatever you are doing that makes you feel the most alive… that is where God is”- St. Ignatius.