The Courier

The student news site of The Delbarton School

The Courier

The Courier

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Delbarton’s Rivalry Victory Prompts Journey to MetLife

On Saturday, November 18th, Delbarton played their most significant game of the season against their NJ arch-rival, Seton Hall Prep. Delbarton (2) was the favorite over SHP (18) with a home-field advantage and an overall seemingly more talented roster. SHP was well aware that it would be tough to contain Ryan Trafford, Delbarton’s top running back who recently returned from injury, as well as Philip Folmar, Delbarton’s do-it-all man.
The game began with a good Green Wave field position on a tipped punt after SHP went three-and-out. The Green Wave marched down the field and scored on a Trafford two-yard touchdown run. Delbarton’s defense added with a Dallas Hurley “pick-six” interception.
In the second quarter, Ryan Trafford took the handoff for the one-yard score and his second touchdown of the afternoon. He added to his dominance, collecting six more points, and finished the half with over 100 yards.
The Pirates responded with a big play from senior Julius Vicari that led to a rushing touchdown for their quarterback, Liam Londergan. The missed extra point kept the score at 21-6 before Christian Zebrowski connected with Folmar for a 45-yard touchdown. SHP’s field goal closed some distance in the scoring, but Delbarton still led 28-9 at halftime.
Julius Vicari and the SHP offense put together seven points in the third, but Delbarton responded again in the fourth. Ryan Trafford added yet another touchdown to make it four on the day and finished with a whopping 221 yards.
Johnny Riley’s fumble recovery in the fourth quarter sealed the deal for Delbarton. After a SHP safety and a short touchdown, Delbarton took home the 38-23 victory.
In interviews after the game, Coach Bowers was proud of his “very strong run game, very stout defense,” and “good special teams.” Ryan Trafford added that Delbarton’s “o-line was just relentless, and it opened up some holes, so it was definitely great.”
The environment at Regan Stadium was also “great,” with an estimated three to four thousand in attendance. In addition to the large and rowdy Delbarton and Seton Hall student bodies, a swarm of hundreds who were not associated with either team also came to watch. The crowd and atmosphere seemed the best Delbarton had seen in years.
The stage is now set for Tuesday, November 28th, when the Delbarton Green Wave will compete in the state championship for the first time in nine years. They will take on a historic NJ football powerhouse in Bergen Catholic. The Crusaders have an extremely talented roster, with countless D1 commits and even more recruits.
Vito Campanile and his team are coming off two consecutive NJSIAA State Championships and are hunting for a third. Kaj Sanders leads the Crusaders, a four-star running back committed to Rutgers, along with Naiim Parrish and Elijah Kinsler, who seem to have unending D1 offers.
Delbarton yet again expects a massive crowd to attend MetLife Stadium in Rutherford, and though the theme is “Green Out”, fans will see many winter jackets. The 8 pm start time will allow cold weather and winds to blow through the Meadowlands, and temperatures will be in the 20s with a feels like of around 16 degrees.
The daunting weather may benefit the Green Wave as they are a primarily run-based offense, whereas Bergen Catholic relies more on the air for their offensive yardage.
Whatever the outcome, the Delbarton Green Wave and Bergen Catholic Crusaders have proved they are the best of the best in NJ and are both worthy of an NJSIAA State Championship, but there can only be one winner. Near midnight of November 28th, 2023, one will be crowned.